forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest Site update
Date Tue, 10 Aug 2004 15:21:33 GMT
Clay Leeds wrote:

> I just noticed the update at http://forrest.apache.org/ and it looks
> like something is missing. The NAV column (on the left) as well as the
> tabs themselves have ~1px margin (which isn't very much), but no rounded
> corners or anything. It's almost like the CSS file isn't found (although
> forrest.css was loaded).
>
> None of the <li> elements in the NAV appear to have bullets (was this a
> design change?), and the font for the following elements are 2 or three
> font-sizes too big.
>
> - 'Published: Tue Aug 10 2004 03:15:16'
> - [Search] the Apache Forrest site
> - breadcrumb

This is wierd, I'm looking at it now with Firefox 9.3 and IE 6.1 and I
don't see any of the above issues. What I do see as a problem are the
missing buttons on the right for font size change.

> The Project logo (actually I think it's the Group Logo) is *huge*!
> 432x40 doesn't leave much room for other content (like the
> [Project]-logo.jpg and the Search box).

It has not changed from before :-)

In any case, we can make it smaller in a number of ways.
Which would you prefer?

http://cvs.apache.org/~nicolaken/whiteboard/apachelogos/#Forrest-forrest

> It is also a slightly darker
> color than the background for the rest of the site, so it sticks out...

This is an issue with IE, so I guess you are using IE, but not 6.x...
It treats PNGs wrong on the gamma values. AFAIK to solve teh issue we
should switch to JPEG or do hand-made GIF.

> IMO, we should either keep it (and drop the project logo) or make it
> smaller.
> Being of the mindset that a well-designed web site should not wrap at
> 800x600, http://forrest.apache.org/ doesn't meet that criterion.

BTW, this skin has smaller fonts and a shortened navigation to prevent
wrapping where possible. The big header, as you correctly point out,
invalidates this.

> In
> addition, the Search Box has the word 'Forrest' dangling around to its
> right.

I don't see it...

> It doesn't appear to be serving a purpose (other than to increase
> the width of the page). The Search Box already has "the Apache Forrest
> Site' in it.

Hmmm... I don't see this... in any case the skin used was the
krysalis-site skin, with Forrest colors. Check www.krysalis.org and see
if there you have the same issues.

> I hope this doesn't sound too harsh... I really like forrest! :-)

Thanks for the feedback! :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -