forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [issues] (FOR-181) Use code-names for skins
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2004 06:26:19 GMT
David Crossley wrote:

> I am still not happy about the names of the skins.

Looking the on the screen being actually used gave me the same
impression... gosh, is it so hard to come up with decent names for
geeks? ;-D

> Look at what we currently have ...
>
> book-tab
> * All the skins have "tabs".
> * What does "book" mean?
> * Confusion with our old "book.xml".

The idea is that it looks like a book with tabs. The fact that you ask
yourself these questions means it does not show as intended.

> css-style-dev
> * All the skins use "css".
> * The word "style" imparts no useful information.
> * The term "dev" should be "1_0" instead.

We should change this name when it gets out of dev mode.

> tigris-style-1_1
> * What does "style" mean?
> * Suppose "looks like" Tigris.org ... so what?

This one is easy :-)

It's from this project: http://style.tigris.org/

> * Version number should be on all skins.

Hmmm...

> It might be easiest to bear no resemblance to reality
> or functionality, and just stick with nonsense names.
> We could then have a document that describes the features
> and techniques of each skin.

Good idea.

> Perhaps we could use variations on the word "skin" and
> each time we come up with a new skin, choose a new name.
>
> Some suggestions:
> fleece, rind, fur, hide, coat, pelt, peel, bark, exo,
> derma, dermis, corium, calyx, scale, leather, patina,
> crust, hull, husk

Can I pretty please leave this decision to others (maybe users)? :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -