forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: [STATUS] Things remaining for 0.6
Date Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:29:02 GMT
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Clay Leeds wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2004, at 5:25 AM, Dave Brondsema wrote:
> >> 2 - Should we switch to pelt after a quick check? it would really be
> >>      better to not have to switch skin now and then again in 0.7 if
> >>      possible.
> >>
> >> 3 - There are some buds that are to be fixed to make the dist.
> >>
> >> 4 - I'd postpone the remaining non-critical bugs to 0.7.
> >
> > Yes.  I'd much rather have a release with some bugs than let 0.6
> > stagnate
> > for more months.
> >
> > The only bug I see as critical (besides copyless) is FOR-229
> > (SVG->PNG).
> > I'd like to fix the aggregate html/pdf pages but honestly I doubt I'll
> > be
> > able to do it soon.
>
> The primary reason I (and the rest of fop-dev) have been eagerly
> awaiting 0.6 is for the aggregate site.pdf output. The thought was that
> FOP should have an aggregate PDF of the site. If this is not going to
> happen, I really need to get on the ball and (sigh) figure out how to
> make the current xml-fop work with 0.5 (which has an aggregate function
> which works). Obviously, I'd rather use 0.6, but if that's not going to
> happen... I gave up on 0.5 after much frustration some time ago,
> thinking it would be better to bide my time for 0.6.
>
> Another alternative is to somehow generate the PDF using 0.5, and
> inserting it RAW into the site? Anyone another idea? Is there anything
> I can do to 'help' get aggregate into 0.6 (ahem... short of learning
> Java)?

Both 0.5.1 and 0.6-dev have problems with the aggregate site.  Your
success with either is highly dependent on how you do linking and image
references and if you have duplicate names/ids.

The knowledge required to help get aggregate sites working is: xslt,
forrest site.xml and linkrewriting, cocoon sitemaps, how forrest uses
cocoon sitemaps.  I don't know it all either.. but I sure learn a lot as I
try :-).  See FOR-147 for the current status of my attempts.  FOR-210 and
FOR-211 are similiar issues.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal