forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: Is DTD v2.0a still moving towards XHTML?
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2004 18:32:15 GMT
On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Ross Gardler wrote:

> Some time ago we decided that our intermediate format would migrate to a
> subset of XHTML2. Now I don't want to open that debate again (we've done
> it twice and all the arguments and decisions are there in the archives),
> but I do have a question regarding this.
>
> In XHTML2 it is legal to have a section without a title. We had a hard
> time working out when this might be useful, however, I now have a use case.
>
> I have a skin that needs to group two sections together, one is a slide
> and one is the text that goes with this slide. I therefore use:
>
> <section>
>    <section class="slide">
>      <title>Slide 1</title>
>    </section>
>    <section>
>      <title>Description of Slide1</title>
>    </section>
> <section>

Another use-case:  In Forrest's own Who's Who page, I wasn't comfortable
with any name for the "notes" section; I wanted it to be titleless.  I
could achieve the same appearance by putting those last paragraphs in the
previous section, but then the heirarchical structure wouldn't accurately
reflect the organization of the document.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal