forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Right side navigation
Date Sun, 01 Aug 2004 17:40:18 GMT
On Aug 1, 2004, at 9:59 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>> If you look at Stefano's original Forrest skin design []1, you will
>> see a right hand side part. Other site like this one [2] use both the
>> navigation on the left and the part on the right.
>> Looking at these sites I see that this kind of navigation include:
>>  - news
>>  - participation info
>>  - search
>>  - publicity
>>  - credits
>>  - related links
>>  - ...
>> In practice, anything.
>> Generalizing it, we could see the left and right parts of the page as
>> "information nugget" containers, where "nuggets" are in fact normal
>> web pages, only with less content.
>
> Is anyone else working on this?
>
> I ask because I have a need to create a version of my site with no
> navigation, no logo's no search boxes, nothing. I started out by
> creating a custom skin, but then thought I should merge this RT with
> my requirements.

Isn't that essentially what happens in the 'document2pdf' (don't recall
the exact name) stream? For the PDFs that are generated, all navigation
(and 'page' headers) are removed. Could that be leveraged to give you
the results you're looking for?

[OT] I actually wish the 'document2pdf' output created in the *.pdf &
site.pdf retained the page header and footer & give the documentation a
friendlier, less-stark look & feel... Improving the PDF output is
something I'd like to get to after I get xml-fop working...

> I have a version of my skin (based on book-tab) which allows me to
> select which elements are to be shown and where. At present this
> allows me to configure the skin (via skinonf.xml) to provide:
>
> - navigation on the left, the right or not at all
> - tabs on top or not at all
> - project & group logo's may not display (even if defined, sometimes I
> want them sometimes I don't)

That is really exciting!

>> So, instead of special entries for search, credits, etc we could
>> simply say in skinconf.xml what pages we want to include there.
>> Navigation would of course be a "nugget" itself, as in fact it
>> already is internally.
>
> My solution, at the moment, is working with the existing skinconf.xml
> structure and simply uses a few <xsl:choose> elements when generating
> the site.
>
> Here's example the new skinconf.xml elements for the navigation
>
> <!-- Configure navigation
>
>   tabs - the tab navigation
>     @location ("top", "none") - where to show the tab navigation
>
>   menu - the main navigation menu
>     @location ("left", "right", "none") - where to show the main
> navigation menu
> -->
> <navigation>
>   <menu RENAME_FILE_TO_USE_location="none"/>
>   <tabs location="none"/>
> </navigation>
>
> Clearly this is not general enough to meet the needs of this RT. So
> how should we go about generalising things? One suggestion would be to
> use the portal view defined by the portal engine in Cocoon (see
> http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/developing/portal/
> profiles.html#The+Portal+View), this would save us having to redesign
> the layout wheel (I confess I am not familiar with this so I'm going
> on gut instinct here).
>
> Ross

Sounds good!

Web Maestro Clay