forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: [RFP] automatically generate sitemap
Date Tue, 10 Aug 2004 03:08:45 GMT
On Aug 9, 2004, at 5:40 PM, Diwaker Gupta wrote:
>> Your proposal is a good thing. However it cannot be
>> called "sitemap". That means something totally different,
>> being the machinery that drives Cocoon.
>> http://forrest.apache.org/docs/sitemap-ref.html
>> This is unfortunate, but we must use another name.
>
> Well I guess the name is the least of the concerns. We could call it
> site-layout, site-index, or site-plan). I'm not familiar with XSL, but
> I gues it should be possible to write a site2layout.xsl to do the
> generation right?
>
> I'll have a go at it if I get time. Meanwhile if someone else get to
> it, do let us know!

[Mildly-OT] It's a shame it can't be called some form of "Site Map"
since that's what 99% of the internet calls the link on their web site
(if they have one) where one can easily get to most--if not all--of
their pages. Calling it anything but one of the following would
probably only confuse newbies even more:
- sitemap.html
- site-map.html
- site%20map.html
- etc.

Although they contain the entire site, even site.html/site.pdf may not
be the best choice because of this (of course I don't have a
'solution'--sorry!).

BTW, I do like the idea of a generated sitemap... but what to call it?

Web Maestro Clay