forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: [STATUS] Things remaining for 0.6
Date Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:59:34 GMT
On Aug 31, 2004, at 8:29 AM, Dave Brondsema wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Clay Leeds wrote:
>>> Yes.  I'd much rather have a release with some bugs than let 0.6
>>> stagnate
>>> for more months.
>>>
>>> The only bug I see as critical (besides copyless) is FOR-229
>>> (SVG->PNG).
>>> I'd like to fix the aggregate html/pdf pages but honestly I doubt
>>> I'll
>>> be able to do it soon.
>>
>> The primary reason I (and the rest of fop-dev) have been eagerly
>> awaiting 0.6 is for the aggregate site.pdf output. The thought was
>> that
>> FOP should have an aggregate PDF of the site. If this is not going to
>> happen, I really need to get on the ball and (sigh) figure out how to
>> make the current xml-fop work with 0.5 (which has an aggregate
>> function
>> which works). Obviously, I'd rather use 0.6, but if that's not going
>> happen... I gave up on 0.5 after much frustration some time ago,
>> thinking it would be better to bide my time for 0.6.
>>
>> Another alternative is to somehow generate the PDF using 0.5, and
>> inserting it RAW into the site? Anyone another idea? Is there anything
>> I can do to 'help' get aggregate into 0.6 (ahem... short of learning
>> Java)?
>
> Both 0.5.1 and 0.6-dev have problems with the aggregate site.  Your
> success with either is highly dependent on how you do linking and image
> references and if you have duplicate names/ids.

OK... So would (gasp) 0.5 work? As I mentioned, I've been waiting for
the 0.6 release. I have a few ideas for content changes to xml-fop but
have waited to make any real changes (other than 'emergency' changes
which involve the use of vi...) until I have BUILD working.

> The knowledge required to help get aggregate sites working is: xslt,
> forrest site.xml and linkrewriting, cocoon sitemaps, how forrest uses
> cocoon sitemaps.  I don't know it all either.. but I sure learn a lot
> as I
> try :-).  See FOR-147 for the current status of my attempts.  FOR-210
> and
> FOR-211 are similiar issues.

The prospect of learning is always a benefit! Makes it all worthwhile!
If you could point to specific places I can look, I might be if help...
Then again, if you knew where to look, you could probably fix it
yourself...

Web Maestro Clay