forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <>
Subject Re: [RFP] automatically generate sitemap
Date Tue, 10 Aug 2004 03:16:11 GMT
Clay Leeds wrote:
> On Aug 9, 2004, at 5:40 PM, Diwaker Gupta wrote:
>>> Your proposal is a good thing. However it cannot be
>>> called "sitemap". That means something totally different,
>>> being the machinery that drives Cocoon.
>>> This is unfortunate, but we must use another name.
>> Well I guess the name is the least of the concerns. We could call it
>> site-layout, site-index, or site-plan). I'm not familiar with XSL, but
>> I gues it should be possible to write a site2layout.xsl to do the
>> generation right?
>> I'll have a go at it if I get time. Meanwhile if someone else get to
>> it, do let us know!
> [Mildly-OT] It's a shame it can't be called some form of "Site Map"
> since that's what 99% of the internet calls the link on their web site
> (if they have one) where one can easily get to most--if not all--of
> their pages. Calling it anything but one of the following would probably
> only confuse newbies even more:
> - sitemap.html
> - site-map.html
> - site%20map.html
> - etc.
> Although they contain the entire site, even site.html/site.pdf may not
> be the best choice because of this (of course I don't have a
> 'solution'--sorry!).
> BTW, I do like the idea of a generated sitemap... but what to call it?

What about navigation or site-structure?

Or make it site?  And make the current site be wholesite.  I like this,
but it'd have to get into 0.6... it'd be too big of a compatibility
change to do later.

Either way... configurable names of these "special pages" should get
into future versions of forrest.

Dave Brondsema : : programming : student org : personal

View raw message