forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: parallel Ant task in our build is confusing
Date Tue, 10 Aug 2004 02:42:45 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> When the command-line 'forrest' is run to build
> a project site, we use the "parallel" Ant task
> in src/core/targets/site.xml to start Cocoon and
> to simultaneously copy other resources to the site.
>
> This causes confusing messages to be reported
> and depending how fast your local system is,
> the messages from Cocoon might get interspersed
> with the copying messages.
>
> Is there any advantage here, or is this just left
> over from when we used to do a lot more copying?

The only advantage is when dealing with *lots* of raw files.  I had this
in the past (I don't even remember why) and the parallel processing was
nice to keep it faster.

A nice solution to the speed issue would be to use ant's <sync> task,
but that doesn't work because the xdocs directory would get copied too
(I think we can put an exclusion in there, but that would assume that
the xdocs directory is at the default location).

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.splike.com : programming