forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: [Proposal] move the Forrest issue tracker to ASF
Date Sun, 08 Aug 2004 04:56:27 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:
>>
>>>Let us talk about which issue tracker.
>>>When we are informed then we can all vote later.
>>
>>Some more information:
>>
>>1-migrating bugs to anything other than JIRA will be a big PITA
>>2-bugzilla, last time I checked, was not actively administered
>>3-Scarab IMHO is not as stable as Jira
>

> The issue about "active administration" at ASF is interesting.
> The infrastructure group is just a team of enthusiastic volunteers
> and it is just like any other Apache project. People from the
> other projects need to dive in and help. If more people asked
> for administration rights to Bugzilla, for example, then we
> would have better administration and more support. Of course
> there are other factors, like the planned move of all of the
> issue trackers to the newer infrastructure machines, but there
> are delays with system installation and testing. In some ways
> that comes back to the situation of needing more volunteers
> with systems experience and time to do things. Phew.
>
> Some more items ...
>
> *) Bugzilla is opensource, so we can all help fix things.
>
> *) Jira is produced by Atlassian and they seem to be
> responsive to feedback and fixing.
>
> *) The upgrading of any issue tracker is still a holdup
> due to the administration issues.

I would prefer to use an open-source tracker, but practically speaking I
think JIRA is best for us.  Conversion would be much easier; bugzilla
seems old and "clunky"; scarab I haven't used extensively but it doesn't
seem to be very intuitive and easy to use.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.splike.com : programming