forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Future of skincon.xml
Date Mon, 02 Aug 2004 12:19:54 GMT
thorsten wrote:

> Hello devs,
>
> I started to make the css-style skin configurable from within the
> skinconf.xml in terms of positioning the elements.
>
> I used e.g.
>
>  <color name="menu" value="#4a6d8c" font="#cedfef" link="#ffffff"
>      vlink="#ffffff" hlink="#ffcf00" current="#0ff0ff"
>     visible="false" position="default"/>

If I understand correct this will result in the menu being generated and
sent to the browser regardless of whether the user wants to see it. This
is a problem with respect to one of the main goals of Forrest, to
provide efficient and lightweight documentation sites.

The approach I have used prevents the HTML being generated if it is not
needed, it also works in none CSS skins (is this a good thing?). Perhaps
the best solution is to have Forrest decide what code to generate and
have CSS decide how to position it (currently I do both in XSL).

<snip/>

> I reckon we should introduce a cssconfig.xml/cssconfig-v01.dtd and use
> something like this:
> <css-elements>
>  <css name="menu" visible="false" position="default">
>   <color
>  </css>
> </css-elements>

I'm not sure about a separate config file, I feel it belongs in
skinconf.xml and there is already a mechanism in there for managing the
CSS files.

Back to the original RT for a moment:

I'm still wondering if we shouldn't simply adopt the approach used in
the Cocoon Portal Engine for defining the layout within skinconf.xml.
This would enable us to leverage other parts of the portal engine to
manage the layout - a web based editor for page layout. It could also
provide us with a set of information "nuggets" as they were called in
the original RT.

(please remember I am not overly familiar with the Portal Engine so
these are just ideas for discussion/exploration).

Ross