forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Example of packaging learning objects (Re: [RT] Right side navigation)
Date Mon, 02 Aug 2004 11:52:41 GMT
Clay Leeds wrote:

> On Aug 1, 2004, at 4:30 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>> Clay Leeds wrote:
>>
>>> Isn't that essentially what happens in the 'document2pdf' (don't
>>> recall  the exact name) stream? For the PDFs that are generated, all
>>> navigation  (and 'page' headers) are removed. Could that be leveraged
>>> to give you  the results you're looking for?
>>

>> Yes, but I need HTML without the navigation. I am generating Content
>> Packages for inclusion into Virtual Learning Environments, these
>> environments provide their own navigation etc. You may ask why I need
>> Forrest at all - well I generate many different formats of the site
>> and that is the strength of Forrest.
>>
>> My solution of extending the skinconf.xml to move or hide navigation
>> works well, but it would be good to see it extended even further as
>> per Nicola Kens RT.
>>
>> Ross
>

> I'd be interested in seeing an example of what you're doing. In addition
> to helping me understand what your hoping to create, I suspect it may be
> useful to others (myself included) as a potential output target, as well.

It is work in progress and still has a few bugs (mainly links that need
translating in the conversion to a Content Package).

You can get the idea by looking at http://www.burrokeet.org/saafe-d/
(which is a normal Forrest site) and then at the same content as a
Learning Object and imported into ATutor ( http://82.69.78.226/ATutor -
log in as apache/apache and select the SAAFE-D Import course)

I've mentioned a few times before that this work is creating a graphical
editor for Forrest sites. I will propose this work for inclusion at
Forrest, but don't have the time to package it properly right now - but
as you see from recent commits, I have started to bring stuff across.

Ross