forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Chalko <n...@chalko.com>
Subject Re: Don't License Samples
Date Sun, 01 Aug 2004 20:37:22 GMT
David Crossley wrote:

>Nick Chalko wrote:
>

>>I think this highlights the reason to NOT license samples designed to be
>>copied and by third parties, in the use of a product.
>>For us that means that even thought Forrest is ASL 2,  all the files
>>generated by "forrest site"  should not be licensed, and should be
>>marked as such.
>>

>No, the Apache License is enabling. It does not restrict your use.
>Its intention is to let you use the work as is and to build upon
>it with your own work.
>
>What part of the License do you have trouble with.
>
>We cannot distribute our work unlicensed.

So walking though an example
I am creating a new project.
I do a "forrest seed"
It generates for example  src/documentation/content./xdocs/index.xml

If index.xml contains the ASL2 (which it does)  then I must leave it
licensed that way.   Perhaps I am writing documentation that I don't
want to be very restrictive of.  (Think company confidential)

It seems to me that the ASL2 does not allow me to distribute DERIVATIVES
without having the DERIVATIVE also ASL2 covered.

The license reads in part

    / You may add Your own copyright statement to Your modifications and
    may provide additional or different license terms and conditions for
    use, reproduction, or distribution of Your modifications, or for any
    such Derivative Works as a whole, provided Your use, reproduction,
    and distribution of the Work otherwise complies with the conditions
    stated in this License.
    /

This implies to me that I have to let others modify and distribute the
documentation  I produce that is covered by the ASL2.
This is not appropriate for some of the documentation work I do.

Seems to me that  "forrest seed"   should produce files that says
something like

    /This file is generated with any warranties.  do what ever you want
    with, including removing this notice./

R,
Nick