forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Right side navigation
Date Sun, 01 Aug 2004 16:59:41 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> If you look at Stefano's original Forrest skin design []1, you will see
> a right hand side part. Other site like this one [2] use both the
> navigation on the left and the part on the right.
>
> Looking at these sites I see that this kind of navigation include:
>
>  - news
>  - participation info
>  - search
>  - publicity
>  - credits
>  - related links
>  - ...
>
> In practice, anything.
>
> Generalizing it, we could see the left and right parts of the page as
> "information nugget" containers, where "nuggets" are in fact normal web
> pages, only with less content.

Is anyone else working on this?

I ask because I have a need to create a version of my site with no
navigation, no logo's no search boxes, nothing. I started out by
creating a custom skin, but then thought I should merge this RT with my
requirements.

I have a version of my skin (based on book-tab) which allows me to
select which elements are to be shown and where. At present this allows
me to configure the skin (via skinonf.xml) to provide:

- navigation on the left, the right or not at all
- tabs on top or not at all
- project & group logo's may not display (even if defined, sometimes I
want them sometimes I don't)

> So, instead of special entries for search, credits, etc we could simply
> say in skinconf.xml what pages we want to include there. Navigation
> would of course be a "nugget" itself, as in fact it already is internally.

My solution, at the moment, is working with the existing skinconf.xml
structure and simply uses a few <xsl:choose> elements when generating
the site.

Here's example the new skinconf.xml elements for the navigation options:

<!-- Configure navigation

   tabs - the tab navigation
     @location ("top", "none") - where to show the tab navigation

   menu - the main navigation menu
     @location ("left", "right", "none") - where to show the main
navigation menu
-->
<navigation>
   <menu location="none"/>
   <tabs location="none"/>
</navigation>

Clearly this is not general enough to meet the needs of this RT. So how
should we go about generalising things? One suggestion would be to use
the portal view defined by the portal engine in Cocoon (see
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/developing/portal/profiles.html#The+Portal+View),
this would save us having to redesign the layout wheel (I confess I am
not familiar with this so I'm going on gut instinct here).

Ross