forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Chalko <n...@chalko.com>
Subject Do'nt License Samples was: Eclipse plugin roadmap
Date Sun, 01 Aug 2004 08:08:33 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:

> Blast! I forgot that one. They are derived from CPL licensed images in
> the eclipse project. This is a compatible license (as far as I
> understand it), but they should be licensed as such.
>
> However, I'll knock together another couple of logo's now and put them
> in instead.
>
> Thanks for spotting this.
>
> Ross

I think this highlights the reason to NOT license samples designed to be
copied and by third parties, in the use of a product.
For us that means that even thought Forrest is ASL 2,  all the files
generated by "forrest site"  should not be licensed, and should be
marked as such.

If IBM had done the same thing for there "sample.gif"  then we would not
have to waste are time with this.

Hmm actually, come to think of it.  When you use the "PDE wizard in
eclipse,  it creates a bunch of files, including the sample.gif."  and
none of the generated files have a license notice.
I think it is reasonable that the sample.gif is also not licensed.

R,
Nick