forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <>
Subject Re: Don't License Samples
Date Mon, 02 Aug 2004 08:03:17 GMT

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004, Nick Chalko wrote:

> >We cannot distribute our work unlicensed.

This is -non- negotiable; every bit and byte in a tarball downloaded from
apache comes under the ASL2 or, if the ASF got it from a third party, that
parties license.

> If index.xml contains the ASL2 (which it does)  then I must leave it
> licensed that way.   Perhaps I am writing documentation that I don't
> want to be very restrictive of.  (Think company confidential)

Please read the license carefully or work with a lawyer familiar with
your field; there are no (known) isuses with this. Lots of companies ship
proprietary modified versions of apache code (though they cannot claim
that it is the official apache code of course) in a confidental fashion.

View raw message