forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [STATUS] Things remaining for 0.6
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2004 04:47:59 GMT
Clay Leeds wrote:
> Dave Brondsema wrote:
> > Clay Leeds wrote:
> >>
> >> The primary reason I (and the rest of fop-dev) have been eagerly
> >> awaiting 0.6 is for the aggregate site.pdf output. The thought was
> >> that
> >> FOP should have an aggregate PDF of the site. If this is not going to
> >> happen, I really need to get on the ball and (sigh) figure out how to
> >> make the current xml-fop work with 0.5 ... <snip/>
> >>
> >> Another alternative is to somehow generate the PDF using 0.5, and
> >> inserting it RAW into the site? Anyone another idea? Is there anything
> >> I can do to 'help' get aggregate into 0.6 (ahem... short of learning
> >> Java)?

You do not need to know Java to use or develop Forrest.
The various XSLT and the Cocoon Sitemap are the keys.

> > Both 0.5.1 and 0.6-dev have problems with the aggregate site.  Your
> > success with either is highly dependent on how you do linking and image
> > references and if you have duplicate names/ids.
>
> OK... So would (gasp) 0.5 work? As I mentioned, I've been waiting for
> the 0.6 release. I have a few ideas for content changes to xml-fop but
> have waited to make any real changes (other than 'emergency' changes
> which involve the use of vi...) until I have BUILD working.

Why wait? The "whole site capability" is really just an added bonus.

Did you see Thorsten's suggestion of using the "Tab PDF" ability:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=109397442105647

> > The knowledge required to help get aggregate sites working is: xslt,
> > forrest site.xml and linkrewriting, cocoon sitemaps, how forrest uses
> > cocoon sitemaps.  I don't know it all either.. but I sure learn a lot
> > as I
> > try :-).  See FOR-147 for the current status of my attempts.  FOR-210
> > and
> > FOR-211 are similiar issues.
>
> The prospect of learning is always a benefit! Makes it all worthwhile!
> If you could point to specific places I can look, I might be if help...
> Then again, if you knew where to look, you could probably fix it
> yourself...

The issue is that Dave has said that he doesn't have time.
It would take time to explain more to you. Start with
sitemap.xmap and use find and grep to follow it from there.

--
David Crossley