forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Tessner <r...@onnadayr.ca>
Subject Re: fork in doc-v20?
Date Fri, 27 Aug 2004 17:39:53 GMT
On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 16:16, David Crossley wrote:
> Dave Brondsema wrote:
> > "Zap jump and fork, and rename 'link' to 'a' for better HTMLness" was done
> > to the v20 DTD.  But <a> doesn't support the target attribute.  Shouldn't
> > it so the capabilities of fork and zap aren't lost?
>
> We are moving toward XHTML2 for our intermediate format
> and this removal of jump and fork is one step closer.
> It was decided to do this a long time ago.
>
> I gather from google that the ability to pop-up new windows
> is frowned upon. It should be up to the user to right-click
> if they want it.
>
> In my opinion, no, we should not add a workaround. That would
> just make it harder to move to XHTML2.
>
> A related thing that i mean to ask. There was the following
> comment which i removed because it didn't make sense to me.
> Would someone explain more and we can add the hint back again.
> We could provide an example in the "seed site".
>
>  "...If desired, that functionality can be handled
>   via the use of the class attribute on <a>."

Hi all,

The pop-up functionality can be added "via the use of the class
attribute on <a>" by defining a link as, for example,

        <a class="jump" href="http://forrest.apache.org">Forrest</a>

and then in the common/xslt/html/document2html.xsl, a template could be
defined as follows:

        <xsl:template match="a[@class='jump']">
            <xsl:apply-templates/>
          </a>
        </xsl:template>

This would then give the same functionality in doc-v20 that the <jump>
element gives in doc-v13.

Hope this helps,

--
Rick Tessner <rick@onnadayr.ca>