forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] move the Forrest issue tracker to ASF
Date Sun, 08 Aug 2004 00:16:29 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > Let us talk about which issue tracker.
> > When we are informed then we can all vote later.
>
> Some more information:
>
> 1-migrating bugs to anything other than JIRA will be a big PITA
> 2-bugzilla, last time I checked, was not actively administered
> 3-Scarab IMHO is not as stable as Jira

The issue about "active administration" at ASF is interesting.
The infrastructure group is just a team of enthusiastic volunteers
and it is just like any other Apache project. People from the
other projects need to dive in and help. If more people asked
for administration rights to Bugzilla, for example, then we
would have better administration and more support. Of course
there are other factors, like the planned move of all of the
issue trackers to the newer infrastructure machines, but there
are delays with system installation and testing. In some ways
that comes back to the situation of needing more volunteers
with systems experience and time to do things. Phew.

Some more items ...

*) Bugzilla is opensource, so we can all help fix things.

*) Jira is produced by Atlassian and they seem to be
responsive to feedback and fixing.

*) The upgrading of any issue tracker is still a holdup
due to the administration issues.

--
David Crossley