forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [issues] (FOR-181) Use code-names for skins
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2004 04:04:50 GMT
I am still not happy about the names of the skins.
Look at what we currently have ...

book-tab
* All the skins have "tabs".
* What does "book" mean?
* Confusion with our old "book.xml".

css-style-dev
* All the skins use "css".
* The word "style" imparts no useful information.
* The term "dev" should be "1_0" instead.

tigris-style-1_1
* What does "style" mean?
* Suppose "looks like" Tigris.org ... so what?
* Version number should be on all skins.

It might be easiest to bear no resemblance to reality
or functionality, and just stick with nonsense names.
We could then have a document that describes the features
and techniques of each skin.

Perhaps we could use variations on the word "skin" and
each time we come up with a new skin, choose a new name.

Some suggestions:
fleece, rind, fur, hide, coat, pelt, peel, bark, exo,
derma, dermis, corium, calyx, scale, leather, patina,
crust, hull, husk

--David

> Author: David Crossley
> There is some discussion about this naming convention in the early part of this thread:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=108670208700005
> It seems that a resolution is not yet reached on the names.
>
> I would like them to be functional. For example i think that "css-style" would be better
as "css-div" to indicate that it uses no tables.

> View the issue:
>
>   http://issues.cocoondev.org/jira//secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=FOR-181
>

> Here is an overview of the issue:
>         Key: FOR-181
>        Type: Improvement

>     Project: Forrest
>   Component: Forrest skins
>     Fix For: 0.6
>    Versions:
>              HEAD
>
>    Assignee:
>    Reporter: Nicola Ken Barozzi
>
>     Created: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 4:30 PM
>     Updated: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 3:07 PM

> We should be using codenames for the skins, so we do not tie them to a site that may
change skin over time.