forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Tessner <r...@onnadayr.ca>
Subject Re: docv12txt.xsl
Date Mon, 02 Aug 2004 00:23:30 GMT
On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 20:13, David Crossley wrote:
> Rick Tessner wrote:

> > If there's any interest, I'd contribute the document2pod XSL that I'm
> > working on as well.
>
> Yes, definitely interest. I don't even know what its function is,
> and i am saying yes please, because anything that extends the use
> of Forrest in the documentation arena is within scope.

Hi all,

Attached is copy of a document2pod.xsl.  It handles lists, rudimentary
tables, verbatim text.  It's rough, but seems to work okay.  It doesn't
handle definition lists, notes and warnings (or nested tables, lists in
tables, etc).

<aside>
        POD, Plain Old Documentation, comes from the perl world.  It's
        basically text with simple directives to do headers, lists,
        verbatim text, and some minor in-line bits for bolding, italics
        etc.

        On a *nix machine with perl installed, you should be able to do
        a "man perlmod" to get an overview of what POD is.
</aside>

I'm hoping that we can have a common/xslt/text directory with a
document2txt.xsl and document2pod.xsl that will share some common XSLs
for doing text-based handling of tables, lists, string functions, etc.

Attached are three items:

      * src/core/context/skins/common/xslt/text/document2pod.xsl  Along
        with the included patch to the sitemap, you should be able to
        get POD for any forrest document.
      * A patch to the sitemap.xmap that can podify a given forrest
        document by using the ".pod" suffix.
      * An example for document transformed to pod: (gzip'd)
        sitemap-ref.pod I used this one since it has lists and tables.
        If you're on a *nix machine that has perl installed, you should
        be able to do a "pod2man sitemap-ref.pod | nroff -man | less" to
        see it as a UNIX manpage.

--
Rick Tessner <rick@onnadayr.ca>