forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: tigris-style cleanup
Date Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:17:18 GMT
Diwaker Gupta wrote:

> The current tigris style needs a lot of cleanup:
>
> o It doesn't use rounded corners, but the CSS still includes
> background images, which are the not copied into the images directory
> thereby resulting in a huge number of needless 404s

It doesn't? It should, I had fixed this IIRC, maybe it's broken again.
Is this with latest SVN?

> o I think the inst.css is redundant and shud be discarded. inst.css
> was meant for customization on top of the default tigris.css --
> however, this can be better handled by the extra-css option in
> skinconf.xml

I disagree, as what you call customization is in fact what the world has
learned to recognize as the default tigris-style skin.

One of the main design objectives of this skin is to be able to use all
teh csses from the tigris project *unmodified*, for easier upgrades in
the future.

If someone wants to customize a skin so much that they need their own
inst.css, it's better that they do it on the new *forrest* css skin that
will be more feature complete.

> There are other issues which are not tigris-style specific -- like why
> are forrest.css.xslt and skinconf.xsl copied over to the deployment
> location? They're not required there, and therefore should not be
> copied.

Because we copy over everything ATM, to put there also things that are
not directly referenced. But since we now parse the CSS, it *should* be
safe to delete this step. Could you add this to a bug report? TIA

             - verba volant, scripta manent -