forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: xml-fop Build Failed
Date Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:12:55 GMT
Clay Leeds wrote:
> Just checking if anyone had anything further on how I can resolve the
> issues building the xml-fop web site. Essentially, I need to figure out
> how to deal with (pipelines?) raw content which must have links to the
> SOURCE, as well as be transformed into PDF. Examples of how the *.fo
> files should be handled can be found here[1], and *.svg here[2].

Basic rules (we should write them somewhere):

- All files that Forrest gives the user can be modified by Forrest*

- *except for the files in the raw dir that are served as-is

- Forrest will always give the user at least the original file if it
cannot process it.

- if the user asks for the original file+extension it's not guaranteed
that Forrest serves the original file

Let me give you an example.

Currently, given the above rules and the features Forrest has, this is
how it should work with svg:

  original file: myfile.svg
  ask for myfile.png -> get it transformed from myfile.svg
  ask for myfile.svg -> get the original svg file

When Forrest will grow, it's more than possible that we have svg output,
so the svg could be transformed maybe to add copyright info.

so:
  original file: myfile.svg
  ask for myfile.png -> get it transformed from myfile.svg with (c)
  ask for myfile.svg -> get the transformed from myfile.svg with (c)

If we add pdf support for this we can also have:

  original file: myfile.svg
  ask for myfile.png -> get it transformed from myfile.svg with (c)
  ask for myfile.svg -> get the transformed from myfile.svg with (c)
  ask for myfile.pdf -> get the transformed from myfile.svg with (c)

This means that

1) Forrest currently misses some features you need that can be added in
the normal Forrest processing (fo,svg->pdf)

2) We must decide how to make Forrest serve the original files... for
example if we want for example the source of the html that is itself in
html? Doing it is easy, but the issue is how to manage the URI space.

Thoughts?

> [1] http://xml.apache.org/fop/examples.html
> [2] http://xml.apache.org/fop/dev/svg.html
> [3] http://homepage.mac.com/webmaestro/xml-fop/xml-fop_files_040729.zip