forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: forrest subprojects
Date Tue, 27 Jul 2004 06:21:48 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:

> This email is sparked both by Ross's eclipse plugin and a small one
> which I might write to work with the IBM contribution [1] to the new
> eclipse webtools project [2].  (it looks really cool).

:-)

> That said, we have these plugins, forrestbar, forrestdoc, forrestlogos,
> even forrestbot (and its webapp), which are not directly dependent on
> forrest.  I think it would be good to keep these completely seperate.

Keeping things as separate as possible is a good design principle,
especially in OS, where in a moular system more people can contribute
together.

> They can have seperate releases and should be stored seperately in SVN.

I'm not so sure about releases, as it would fracture the community, but
we'll decide that eventually when time to release will come.

>   Some (like forrestdoc) may become integrated as part of forrest and
> then should not be seperate.  An important use-case I can think of right
> now is to be able to release new versions of a plugin/tool independent
> of forrest.

Hmmm, so you mean we could do deparate releases of the tools that do not
strictly depend on the core? What about just tweaking the concept and
saying that the other projects can have extra indipendent releases? I
mean, with Forrest 0.6 we release all the other projects too, but then
till 0.7 the other project can do point releases indipendently?

> What do you all think?
>
> [1] http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/initial-contribution/ibm.zip
> [2] http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/index.html

             - verba volant, scripta manent -