forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Scherler, Thorsten" <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PMC] contribution procedure (Was: Howto about pdfs out of parts of site.xml)
Date Sun, 18 Jul 2004 10:40:31 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> (I would like to use this FOR-218 as an example to assist us
> to define our contribution procedure.)

Ok, I am always glad to help! Even it is the "bad example" approach! I
do not take that presonally!

...but I hope in the future we wil have written guidelines that I and
other can read!

> * The original contribution from Stephan did not go through
> proper channels, rather went directly to a committer.
> (Thorsten eased that by adding it as a Jira issue. Good.)
>
> * The contribution has not been committed, yet we are trying
> to work on it remotely.
>
> This is not our way. It should be that stuff gets contributed,
> we commit it, then we work on it, then we decide whether to
> keep it, then we release it.
>
> Sure, there are other situations where the committer will need
> to judge whether the work is able to be committed at all, e.g.
> perhaps legal issues, or maybe not appropriate to Forrest mission.
>
> Your enthusiasm is definitely admired Thorsten, but we
> need to follow the way that we know is a good procedure.

Then write them down! I am too new to forrest to know all this rules
that exist but are not written down!

> So how to remedy ...
>
> Stephan if you would add a comment to Jira FOR-218 to say that
> you intend the contribution to be added to Forrest. In future,
> please make all contributions via the issue tracker.
>
> Thorsten, or anyone else for that matter, please commit the
> work.

I just did!

It is documentation, not code. So it won't break the
> feature freeze. We can alway exclude it from site.xml using
> xml comments.

I did not link it in there! It is not working so IMO it *cannot* be part
of the *official* documentation *now*. I just want documentation that
are actually working!

King regards
thorsten

--
<thorsten>
  <name>Thorsten Scherler</name>
  <country>Spain</country>
  <@mail>thorsten.at.apache.org</@mail>
  <@cocoon-WIKI>
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/Scherler
</@cocoon-WIKI>
  <acronymfinder>
http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?String=exact&Find=Find&Acronym=
  </acronymfinder>
  <motto>
    "My task which I am trying to achieve is,
     by the power of the written word,
     [...] to make you see."
     *Joseph Conrad (1857-1924)*
  </motto>