forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: [DRAFT] Forrest Project Guidelines
Date Fri, 02 Jul 2004 15:36:56 GMT
Scherler, Thorsten wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>> This is what I was proposing...
>> The part that i was stuck with in writing the current
>> Guidelines is that we were trying to introduce a role
>> that just does their work in the SVN repository and
>> does not have a person<AT> UNIX/mail account.
>> So that makes them a different type of committer.
> I think that can be the developer. Remember:
> A user who contributes to a project in the form of code or documentation
> becomes a developer.
> So giving him karma to certain areas of the svn-tree would help reduce
> patches that are voted positiv. He could apply that by himself.

This is a step further from developer, as he can commit -> committer.
The more I think of it, the more I understand that the fact that ewmany
projects call 'committer' all the voters is wrong.

> ...why are we not using a auth-mechanism at apache? I mean every user of
> the mailing list can have an apache account (user and devs only does not
> have a person<AT> UNIX/mail account). This login could be used
> for wiki, jira, svn, ... The account information can be stored in LDAP,
> etc.. Helps as well the guys from infrastructure to easily look up user
> infos for changes in karma. Having doco in mind I reckon we would need
> such a mechanism anyway!

They are discussing about it on the infrastructure list, but it will
take some time to get it running.

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -