forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Scherler, Thorsten" <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DRAFT] Forrest Project Guidelines
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2004 18:30:55 GMT
David Crossley wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Dave Brondsema wrote:
>>
>>>What about this: committers cannot vote, unless
>>>they are a PMC member.  After the committer demonstrates he/she can work
>>>well with us, we can propose they join the PMC.  The only people who stay
>>>"just committers" would be most Lenya & Cocoon committers and
>>>task-oriented committers who don't want to be more involved.
>>>
>>>This keeps the committing roles to 2 instead of 3.
>>
>>This is what I was proposing...
>

> The part that i was stuck with in writing the current
> Guidelines is that we were trying to introduce a role
> that just does their work in the SVN repository and
> does not have a person<AT>apache.org UNIX/mail account.
> So that makes them a different type of committer.

I think that can be the developer. Remember:
A user who contributes to a project in the form of code or documentation
becomes a developer.
So giving him karma to certain areas of the svn-tree would help reduce
patches that are voted positiv. He could apply that by himself.

...why are we not using a auth-mechanism at apache? I mean every user of
the mailing list can have an apache account (user and devs only does not
have a person<AT>apache.org UNIX/mail account). This login could be used
for wiki, jira, svn, ... The account information can be stored in LDAP,
etc.. Helps as well the guys from infrastructure to easily look up user
infos for changes in karma. Having doco in mind I reckon we would need
such a mechanism anyway!

King regards
thorsten

--
<thorsten>
  <name>Thorsten Scherler</name>

<@cocoon-WIKI>http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Scherler</@cocoon-WIKI>
  <http>http://www.target-x.de</http>
  <acronymfinder>http://www.acronymfinder.com</acronymfinder>
  <motto>
	"My task which I am trying to achieve is,
	by the power of the written word,
	[...] to make you see."
	*Joseph Conrad (1857-1924)*
  </motto>