forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: DTD version numbers (Was: svn commit: rev 22274)
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2004 12:48:14 GMT
On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Dave Brondsema wrote:

> >>That might be okay as long as we release often.
> >
> > Okay.  But even during development we still need to have a new DTD if the
> > change is not backwards compatible.
>
> If we change a released DTD we change the version, if not we don't.

I think there are enough people who use the dev version that in a way all
DTDs are "released".  Changing the version when a backwards-incompatible
change occurs means end-users of the dev version will become aware of the
significant change even if they don't follow the mailing lists closely.

Hopefully this won't happen much anyway before we go to the new skinconf
format which will have a stable DTD.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal