forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: svn usage habits (Was: svn commit: rev 22666)
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2004 12:23:32 GMT
On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, David Crossley wrote:

> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > > Author: thorsten
> > > Added: forrest/trunk/src/core/context/skins/common/scripts/getBlank.js
> > > \ No newline at end of file
> >
> > I added the props in my svn-config that david gave me  but as soon
> > as I add a new file I get that!
>
> The two things are not related. The missing newline issue
> seems to be another M$ peculiarity.

The "\ No newline at end of file" is simply an information message from
SVN.  This can happen on any operating system and is not a problem.

> This commit still does not have the eol-style property set.
> By the way, i do not yet use that config file. I just set
> properties by hand whenever i add a new file.
>
> > How can I prevend that? I mean how can I add a newline at end of file?
>
> I don't know. On UNIX when i convert something that comes from M$
> then i always need to open and close the file with vi, that fixes
> the missing newline issue.
>
> (I wonder how much wasted time they have inflicted on the world.)
>
> > Sorry, for the extra work of dos2unix all my new files ...and the the
> > /stupid questions/!
> >
> > ...but at least I am aware that I have a problem (that is a start) ;-).
>
> We need to persist and get these things solved, otherwise
> it creates work down the track.

Here's an overview of the steps to take when adding a new non-binary file:

1) Make sure the file uses your OS's native line endings.  If you get
a file from elsewhere (email, issue tracker, etc) you may have to
convert it with dos2unix or unix2dos.  SVN will report an error if there
is a mixture of line endings used in a single file.

2) "svn add myfile"

3) "svn propset svn:eol-style native myfile" unless you've configured
svn to do so automatically.

4) Verify the property is set.  "svn propget svn:eol-style myfile"
should print "native".

5) "svn commit -m "message" myfile"

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net