forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: [DRAFT] Forrest Project Guidelines
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2004 14:33:08 GMT
On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Dave Brondsema wrote:
> > Moreover, if we did have non-voting committers to work on a certain
> > feature, we need to define another process for "graduation" to voting
> > committership.  I don't like having so many levels of stratification, it
> > makes the community feel less open.
>
> I understand.
>
> Let me try to explain again what I'm trying to solve instead of
> discussing on the solution :-)
>
> Let's say that all committers can VOTE. This sets a high bar on
> committership, as one needs to demonstrate that he can work well
> together. Some project set this as high as 6 months of continuous and
> good patches. The fact is that a voter can veto changes (even if they
> have to be explained), and this can have a big impact on the community.
>
> In this way, the distinction between PMC members and committers is moot,
> as all committers become PMC members. If they can vote, then they are
> steering the project, so they are de facto part of the PMC and must take
> responsibility.
>
> Because of this, we cannot have people helping out on a certain feature
> for a limited set of time or for a particular part of the code. For
> example, let's say that we put a XYZ skin in Forrest and that a certian
> person wants to maintain it. Shall we make him part of the PMC? I say
> no. Shall we have him send in patches continually, just to have that
> skin up to date? Would not partial commit access be a solution?
>
> Note that partial commit access is not a step to PMC membership. It's an
> alternative for some cases.
>
> Another use case is that we wouldn't have Lenya or Cocoon committers
> with access to the CVS, as they would have to be PMC members, which has
> to be voted based on merit. How would we treat this?

That explanation helped.  What about this: committers cannot vote, unless
they are a PMC member.  After the committer demonstrates he/she can work
well with us, we can propose they join the PMC.  The only people who stay
"just committers" would be most Lenya & Cocoon committers and
task-oriented committers who don't want to be more involved.

This keeps the committing roles to 2 instead of 3.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal