forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Clay Leeds <>
Subject css list-items
Date Fri, 23 Jul 2004 22:40:17 GMT
One thing that annoys me about HTML lists, is the indent level seems
excessive. It really shows on the Apache Forrest TOC output (any page
with a TOC will do for an example, but the Forrest FAQ really shows
it[1]). Eric Meyer and A List Apart have a great tutorials about taming
lists[2] & [3]. Eric pretty much '[b]oils it all down' to this [2]:

> Boil it all down, and what we're left with is this: if you want
> consistent rendering of lists between Explorer 5.x and Netscape 6.x,
> you need to set both the left margin and left padding of the UL
> element. We can ignore LI altogether for these purposes. If you want
> to reproduce the default display in Netscape 6.x, you write:
>   ul {margin-left: 0; padding-left: 2.5em;}
> If you're more interested in following the Explorer model, then:
>   ul {margin-left: 2.5em; padding-left: 0;}
> Of course, you can fill in your own preferred values. Split the
> different and set both to 1.25em, if you like. If you want to reset
> lists to have no indentation, then you still have to zero out both
> padding and margin:
>   ul {margin-left: 0; padding-left: 0;}

Does it make sense to add this to the css-style skin?

Web Maestro Clay

View raw message