forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: docv12txt.xsl
Date Sun, 01 Aug 2004 01:40:15 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:

>>> The problem is that it includes a small amount of code from another
>>> source that does not publish its licensing terms. I have, via their

<snip/>

> http://lists.fourthought.com/pipermail/exslt/2004-July/002096.html

<snip/>

> So, currently the code is regarded as public domain. What does this mean
> with regards to commiting it to Forrest? - one day I'll understand all
> this legal stuff (yeah right!)

A little more digging in their archives turned up the following mail,
which was posted in June 2004, in response to my mail of January 2004.
Anyway, I think it contains our answer:

--- copied text from
http://lists.fourthought.com/pipermail/exslt-manage/2004-June/001203.html
  ---

You're free and clear to use the templates, but you should credit and
link to exslt.org.  As for copyright, there is no legal entity for
EXSLT, but you can credit the original individual managers as follows:

EXSLT templates are Copyright 2001-2004 Jeni Tennison, David Pawson,
James Fuller and Uche Ogbuji

There is no "license" as such, although I started discussion for
choosing one (probably a creative commons license).  You're not required
to attribute or post notice, so you'd be fine within the Apache license,
but I'd encourage you to pass on this attribution request, anyway.

Thanks.

--- end copied text ----

So does this mean we can simply put the relevant code into the XSL and
place a comment to the effect "This template is Copyright...." in the
code (as Uche says this is not required but it is good manners). Does
the Apache side of things allow us to do this?

Of course, it may be easier for someone with more XSLT skill than I to
simply write an original version of the template (create a string of a
given character that is length x).

Ross