forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: [issues] Created: (FOR-213) Forrest doesnt render foreing charactercodes correctly to UTF-8
Date Sun, 11 Jul 2004 07:23:26 GMT
issues@cocoondev.org wrote:

>When I create all XML pages in the right encoding (e.g. windows-1250) and set this encoding
at the top of each XML document, the result static HTML pages are NOT converted to UTP-8 (but
the header says it should be this encoding).

>Forrest leaves all characters as is plus it converts SOME of them to HTML entities. Thats
totally bad. It should convert all characters to the UTF8 codes.

>Same with CWIKI pages - in the CWIKI page I am not able to set the source file encoding,
but I suppose Forrest will use the default platform encoding (in my case windows-1250). The
result is same: characters are NOT converted and some of them are converted only to HTML entities.

>This needs to be fixed, it blocks all non-english users. Thanks.

I've really struggled with this - for some reason the HTMLSerialiser
refuses to output UTF-8. The XML serialiser can do it, but not the HTML
one. Then, switching to Pier's new HTMLSerialiser in the serialisers
block in Cocoon, sorted it in one go.

Regards, Upayavira