forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject EXSLT license and license convention (Was: docv12txt.xsl)
Date Sun, 01 Aug 2004 03:07:59 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:

> > So, currently the code is regarded as public domain. What does this mean
> > with regards to commiting it to Forrest? - one day I'll understand all
> > this legal stuff (yeah right!)

We are all in the same boat, but we have help in other
ASF forums whenever we need it.

> A little more digging in their archives turned up the following mail,
> which was posted in June 2004, in response to my mail of January 2004.
> Anyway, I think it contains our answer:

Good discovery Ross. All you need to do is create a file in
our /legal/ directory following the naming conventions [*]
add their jar and go. Since they also ask for attribution
you would add them to NOTICE.txt

[*] naming convention for license files

If the supporting product is bundled as a jar file, and provides
a separate license file, then add that file with same jar name
and the .txt extension.

Otherwise use your judgement as to the appropriate filename
and the contents of that license file. Some examples in this
category are the w3c-dtd and oreilly. This latter seems to cover
a specific case and also broadly all O'Reilly code examples
(together with attribution for each case).

--
David Crossley