forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] forrestbot at apache.org
Date Tue, 27 Jul 2004 03:16:49 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:

> >>Cron jobs for running forrestbot can be set up on any machine.
> >>The web interface should have a nice URL though. Here's a few ideas:
> >>
> >>forrestbot.apache.org
> >>bot.forrest.apache.org
> >>forrest.apache.org/forrestbot
> >>
> >>The first two might conflict with existing subdomain policies.
> >
> > The issue is that there are no dynamic applications
> > running on the machine which hosts the webservers for
> > each project:
> > http://www.apache.org/dev/machines.html#minotaur
> > So that means that a forrestbot web interface cannot run
> > on forrest.apache.org and would need to run on one of the
> > other new machines.
>
> If we wanted it, couldn't we request it?  Tomcat behind an Apache
> mod_jk2 connector would work fine.

Requesting it on another machine is okay, just not on the
main webservers machine. I presume that because it is the
main webservers, and also runs the SVN and CVS servers, that
they don't want to risk an out-of-control dynamic application
affecting the performance and security.

> I'd also be content with something like forrestbot.apache.org on nagoya.

I gather that nagoya is going away.

> Should we see what infrastructure thinks?  I'm sure they'd have an
> opinion about what'd work best.

Yes, i think that we should see what infrastructure thinks
before we go too far.

> I'll work on a requirements list, we
> need that anyway.

Great.

> Would you guys like to see a demo of what the new webapp looks like?

Are you saying that you have something public that we
can look at? That might help when we try to explain it
to the infrastructure@ list.

--
David Crossley