forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Writing our guidelines by use-cases
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:44:14 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> >>Please be patient with me and my temperament .
> >
> >When i explain something or pick people up on something
> >then i am not impatient. It is often done for the benefit
> >of the whole community.
>
> I did not want to imply that you are impatient, you are
> more the absolute opposite ;-).

Ah, drat. I did not take enough time over my choice of words.
I knew that you knew.

> Just a remark:
> ...picking up people can be sometimes hard for those people because they
> have to swallow their pride and think about the benefits of the
> community. Anyway that is a good lesson to learn if you are part of an
> opensource project .  Like you said it is not about picking up people
> but more the inappropriate process of doing things and helping to
> overcome that.

Yes, and in opensource our pride and ego is often
tested. There was another concept that i started
to add to the last email, but withdrew it because
i thought that i was starting to waffle.

Defensiveness. On one side people need to present
stuff in such a way that the recipients do not have
a chance to get defensive. On the other the side
people should look beyond their defensive tendencies.
(Easy to say.)

> >Your temperament comes across well on forrest-dev
> >No need for you to be concerned.
> >
> >>Hope that clears things up.
> >
> >It does. And thanks for the opportunity to discuss
> >other methodology.
>
> Always glad to help writting down the guidelines by being
> the "not like Thorsten"-example ;-) LOL.

I am not sure whether i should say "keep it up" or not :-)

--
David Crossley