forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Writing our guidelines by use-cases
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:05:39 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> I just want to let you know that I really like
> our way writing the guideliness.

Yeah, me too. I found that is the best way to do it.
This is a new thing that i am trying. And it is by
working with receptive people, like you, that enables it.

Actually there is more involved than just developing our
guidelines. It encourages discussion and ownership in the
community too.

> I feel that the last time I wrote a harsh reply regarding the
> "contribution procedure". I am sorry for that! I hope it was not
> offensiv for David and other devs! I felt to write that to this list.

Thanks. However i, for one, did not read it that way.
(Going back to re-read your message now :-)

> I was a wee bit angry with myself having the feeling that I am
> doing everything wrong.

You are not, and don't whip yourself. Consider this ...
If everyone did things in the supposed "correct" way,
then we would not have been given the chance to use that
situation to discuss our guidelines.

> I now can understand better that e.g. documentation
> can always go into SVN seeing that other committer will
> pick it up and helping to fix it. This committer would not be
> able to help if the document is still *only* on my local harddrive.

Not only documentation. Code too should be that way.
(With the proviso of the current feature freeze.)
The power of community is huge.

> Like I said in the reply I am still learning the Apache way.

Ah, the Apache Way is evolving. We are all learning as we go.
If anyone of us says that we already know everything, then
we have missed the point.

> Please be patient with me and my temperament .

When i explain something or pick people up on something
then i am not impatient. It is often done for the benefit
of the whole community.

Your temperament comes across well on forrest-dev
No need for you to be concerned.

> Hope that clears things up.

It does. And thanks for the opportunity to discuss
other methodology.

--
David Crossley