forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject [PMC] contribution procedure (Was: Howto about pdfs out of parts of site.xml)
Date Sun, 18 Jul 2004 06:45:41 GMT
(I would like to use this FOR-218 as an example to assist us
to define our contribution procedure.)

* The original contribution from Stephan did not go through
proper channels, rather went directly to a committer.
(Thorsten eased that by adding it as a Jira issue. Good.)

* The contribution has not been committed, yet we are trying
to work on it remotely.

This is not our way. It should be that stuff gets contributed,
we commit it, then we work on it, then we decide whether to
keep it, then we release it.

Sure, there are other situations where the committer will need
to judge whether the work is able to be committed at all, e.g.
perhaps legal issues, or maybe not appropriate to Forrest mission.

Your enthusiasm is definitely admired Thorsten, but we
need to follow the way that we know is a good procedure.

So how to remedy ...

Stephan if you would add a comment to Jira FOR-218 to say that
you intend the contribution to be added to Forrest. In future,
please make all contributions via the issue tracker.

Thorsten, or anyone else for that matter, please commit the
work. It is documentation, not code. So it won't break the
feature freeze. We can alway exclude it from site.xml using
xml comments. In fact Stephan's documented PDF procedure
may reveal an issue prior to release, so it should go in.

--David