forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Project sitemap mount and copyless
Date Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:17:05 GMT
Lorenz Froihofer wrote:

> I use a custom sitemap because I do not want to rewrite all the existing
> HTML documents as Forrest documents.

Forrest can handle also other doc formats, and html as well.

> By using a custom file extension
> (e.g. .xhtml) it is further possible to perform some transformations on
> them (e.g. table coloring).

Coloring should be done in skins. For this we are adding a class
attribute on all elements, so you can color things in skinconf (with a
new extra-css section).

> Furthermore, this allows the flexibility of using full HTML in case you
> need it, e.g. some documents that have a unique layout and where it is
> not worth to create a new document type for them.

Then you need to put them in the raw dir. Forrest advocates separation
of content and presentation.

>> What about this proposal:
>>
>> - we mount a sitemap that resolves uris in a defined space, for
>>   example /forrest-user-sitemap
>> - this pipeline has to give us the docs in xdoc format
>
> I guess this would mean to write a custom stylesheet to transform the
> existing HTML documents with custom transformations into a Forrest
> document.

Forrest can already read html documents. But if you need extra stuff,
yes, you would have to do it.

> Furthermore, by using this approach any kind of document would be
> limited to the xdoc format (I guess, the Forrest document format is
> meant here). What happens if a user needs more flexibility in formatting?

No pun intended, but then you are not using Forrest, but Cocoon.

The xdoc format does not contain any style information per design, so I
don't understand what you mean by 'more flexibility in formatting'.

Could you please post an example?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -