forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Project sitemap mount and copyless
Date Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:06:34 GMT
David Crossley wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>My impression is that we should only need to give users the possibility
>>of using a sitemap to generate extra source documents using Cocoon, and
>>nothing more.
>
> The cases where i have needed to use project sitemaps:
>
> * Some source docs which use full DocBook and render them
> with the complete DocBook XSL, e.g. Apache Xml Commons.
> http://xml.apache.org/commons/components/resolver/
> See the "Article".
>
> * Where we have other complex tables that we need to be
> integrated into a Forrest-built site.
> http://www.indexgeo.net/zalarm/
>
> * The scenario described in the "Using Forrest" doc.
> http://forrest.apache.org/docs/your-project.html#sitemap.xmap
>
> All of these have been achieved by adding our own project
> sitemap and our own stylesheets.
>
> I gather that is the sort of thing we intend to continue to
> facilitate.

Agreed.

>>Any other customization would be something that touches
>>Forrest itself and should be done by actually changing Forrest.
>
> What other thing can you imagine that people might need?

Personally nothing.

Currently users can do anything with these sitemaps, as they touch the
inner workings of Forrest.

I want to make the extensions more defined so that we can move Forrest
forward without the fear of breaking people's customizations.

What about this proposal:

- we mount a sitemap that resolves uris in a defined space, for
   example /forrest-user-sitemap
- this pipeline has to give us the docs in xdoc format
- we have Forrest check if the document resolves in this space
   before using other sources

Let me explain.

Let's say that we want Forrest to render a table from some database data
at the URL /mydata.html

What I have to do is make my sitemap give an xdoc representation of this
table under /forrest-user-sitemap/mydata.xml

In this way Forrest will search there first before looking on the disk,
and render it correctly under /mydata.html

             - verba volant, scripta manent -