forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: Search capability, copyless and general indexing
Date Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:33:40 GMT
Juan Jose Pablos wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi escribió:
>> On the site [1], I read this:
>> "
>> You can now build a Lucene search index by pointing your web browser
>> at http://localhost:8888/lucene-update.html. This generates the search
>> index and provides some information about the index generation process.
>> "
>> But I see that Cocoon generates the index in an Ant task. Are the docs
>> out of synch?
> You can always do it that way. In fact if you look on the "lucene-index"
> target what it does is to use the cli for cocoon and request
> lucene-update.html with the followLinks=false

So it pregenerates it offline, but with the same capabilities. Understood.

But there is a potential security problem here, as anyone can invoke it.

>> On the other hand, Forrest will always have the need to generate
>> indexes, like for example the index that forrestdoc does on the java
>> source. When we will put the source generation in Forrest in the
>> future, we will still need an index generation page, for the
>> cross-references.
> Only if you are using the lucene search utility

I have other plans :-)

Look here:

This is generated with what is now in the Forrest scratchpad. In
particular, the javarsc part has a cross-reference of the items in the
Java files.

Instead of having Ant generate the pages, I reckon that we can have a
database with the cross-reference, and that each page is generated on
the fly by Cocoon.

Ok, a bit far off, too much wishful thinking ;-)

>> Would we want to have them generated by an Ant task always or by Cocoon?
>> Where should the indexes be put?
> The use case would be: Create an index under the
> cocoon-work/lucene-index when you start the webserver, if you update the
> documents either you run "forrest lucene-index" or request
> localhost:8888/update-index.html

I understand. Thanks for the help.

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -