forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Project sitemap mount and copyless
Date Mon, 21 Jun 2004 16:27:26 GMT
Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi escribió:
>

>> Currently we have reverted the copyless behaviour mainly because the
>> sitemaps in the project were not used by Forrest.
>>
>> To finish off copyless, I have put in place a conditional mount:
>> Forrest mounts the user sitemap before anything else if it's present.
>>
>> I believe that this should be enough for the private customizantions
>> that users would want to do, and thus it would be possible to finish
>> off reverting copyless.
>>
>> Objections?
>
> In my own humble opinion. You are adding complexity in the sitemap
> instead of putting that complexity on the build process.

Correct. I'm not reducing complexity ATM, I'm just moving it in the
sitemap. This has the added effect of reduce copying and build complexity.

> I know that we are putting a lot of effort in reducing the amount of
> copying, but this would make our code less maintable.

IMHO it's the opposite. The less we have in the Ant build, the more
maintainable it becomes.

Besides, this makes it possible for 0.7 to *reduce* the complexity, by
using the locationmap to get the files for example.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -