forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [dtd] Wondering about the document v20a
Date Sun, 20 Jun 2004 18:18:21 GMT
Rick Tessner wrote:
> A v20 with forward-incompatible changes
> =======================================
>
> If we move forward with a v20 with forward-incompatible changes, it may
> be that we move forward again with incompatible changes when we move to
> XHTML2, depending on compatability issues of v20 with XHTML2.

That move will also be incompatible.

> Granted, as Jeff T. pointed out, the forward-incompatible changes
> between v13 and v20 are pretty simple:
>
>       * Change the DOCTYPE declaration
>       * s/<(link|jump|fork)/<a/g
>
> We would also need to decide what the howto-v20, change-v20 and todo-v20
> are going to look like.
>
> Any changes to them (other than importing the document-v20.mod)?  These
> three are not currently defined in the v20a/ directory.

Just the importing is fine.

> A v20 with forward-compatible changes
> ======================================
>
> Simple question.  What do we gain by this over using v13?

One only DTD instead of two.

> Go with v13 and v20 becomes a move to XHTML2
>
> I'm not quite sure what the intent is with XHTML2.  Is it a replacement
> for document-v* and the other DTDs, (such as howto, faq and changes)
> will be transformed to XHTML2?

XHTML2 is a complete replacement of all the document DTDs.
The extra tags we need will be defined using the class attribute on
usual XHTML2 elements.

Given the above, I now think that the best route is simply to add the
class attribute to the 1.2 and 2.0a DTDs and thus make 1.3 and a 2.0
DTD, and update accordingly the other DTDs.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -