forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Why does forrest copy stuff to /webapp?
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2004 06:05:29 GMT
Juan Jose Pablos wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi escribió:
>
>> Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
>>
>>> Nicola. It is not the whole webapp. Just src/core/context I will look
>>> for a way to reduce this to the minimum.
>>
>> Shucks, it should not be to a minimum, it should simply not be
>> there... Why does it have to be like this? Maybe I can help you remove
>> this.
>
> If we want for each project:
> logs

We should simply point to the project build dir.

> upgrade skinconf

This is to be done in the sitemap.

> search index

It should be done only when we do the static site inside the project;
for forrest run it should be in th eproject build dir.

> custom xmaps

Hmmm, this is harder to tackle, it can be done but we won't be doing it
now :-/  (*)

> .... other custom stuff that I do not remember
>
> The quick way is to copy for each project.

Quick, but not what we want :-)

With the copyless brach,
> building forrest means to create a forrest.jar. But for each project
> thereis stuff (like copying status.xml) that needs review.

status.xml?

> Doing some trial and error test. It seems that as a minimum the WEB-INF
> has to be copied (24 Files).
>
> But then:
>
> The catalog path within cocoon.xconf is relative, so it needs to point
> to forrest.home . Same would apply to skins and resources/stylesheets.

That's another point (**)

>> I would have appreciated though that you had told us about this
>> change, as it's a regression, and the trunk should never have
>> deliberate regressions.
>
> I did... There is a few mails about this issue.

'k, sorry.

I think that because of (*) and (**) we must in fact keep it for now as
you have reverted it to.

For the next version we should tackle this fully.

>>> We should be aware of the "Filesystem Hierarchy Standard"[1] as well
>>> so we make forrest more easy to migrate to something like debian.
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html
>>
>> I don't think it's relevant for us, nor important, as Java is OS
>> agnostic.
>
> But our users are not. :-)  Anyway, it was to get some direction on how
> to slip.. it is not important.

It's not a bad thing to look at eventually, put it in Jira :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -