forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DRAFT] Forrest Project Guidelines
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 14:20:42 GMT
David Crossley wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>All committers are part of the PMC. Committers are the ones committed to
>>the project. What about PMC="Project Management Committers"?
>
> Good idea. What a difference a name makes.
>
>>Developers are not part of the PMC and *may* have partial commit access.
>
> Yes that solves it. Some developers are provided task-based
> access from time-to-time.
>
> So the roles are User, Developer, Project Management Committer
> (called "Committer" for short).

That is my basic idea...

>>True. The role is taken from other projects that use this method, and is
>>a "mentor" like figure. Let's leave this out for now, and keep the
>>global committer group responsible.
>
> It could be mentioned in the definition of the developer
> with extra ability.

While I still stand by the basic role division, I think we have a minor
problem.

Look here:
   http://apache.org/foundation/roles.html

Basically it defines a developer with commit access as "committer", and
clearly says that they make day2day decisions of what changes to take. I
don't take this "day2day" decisions as voting.

IMHO it becomes simple if we name "committer" the special developer and
"pm-committer" a PMC committer.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -