forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Skin names and skin cleaning
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 07:58:05 GMT
David Crossley wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Dave Brondsema wrote:

> What happened to forrest-css? I think that i get deja vu
> on that question, but cannot remember the answers.

Lack of usage -> lack of bug reports -> lack of fixes

The whs skin proposed below is a css skin BTW. Since we would use it for
our site form 0.7 onwards, it would remain live this time.

> If better CSS and more lightweight, then i am all for it.

Some nitpickers have compared it with forrest-site and have found it
definately better. It would be our last "table layout" based skin.

>>>What's wrong with forrest-site?  I think we should keep it around.  I
>>>agree krysalis looks better, but forrest-site works fine and is becoming
>>>pretty standard around apache.org... which leads to another [RT]: Is there
>>>any desire to have a common look and feel to all (or most) apache.org
>>>sites?
>
> We probably need to take the approach:
> "build it and they might come".
>
> Every project needs to be able to do their own thing.
> When we provide efficient, easily configured skins and
> fast production, then we might see various projects just
> adopt it and some consistency is gained.
>
> It will not happen top-down - Apache doesn't work that way.

+1

>>krysalis-site is a fork of forrest-site. I have taken all the issues I
>>had heard of in forrest-site (corner images in the html,
>>non-skin-colored corners, too big fonts, no javascript menus, etc etc)
>>and made krysalis-site.
>
> That is good to hear, and makes me more confident.
> I do get frightened when i hear people use the word
> "switch" - that sound of bathwater being thrown out.
>
> Did the krysalis-site skin get all the recent changes
> that forrest-site received, i.e. remove use of document()
> function? ... it might never have been used, i am just
> trying to think of the pitfalls of changing skins.

I have done all the changes of skin coloring and round corners only on
the krysalis-site and tigris-style skins, so actually it's the other way
round :-)

>>>I am horrible at naming... :-)
>>
>>Oh, no, then we have a problem, I'm so too! B-)
>
> Here is a good name ... "default".

Naaa, and when we will switch? We need a codename, like qute, aqua,
aero, etc...

             - verba volant, scripta manent -