forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Skin names and skin cleaning
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:21:23 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Our current actively  supported skins are forrest-site, krysalis-site
>>and tigris-style.
>>
>>I would like to change these names to make them indipendent of the sites
>>that use them. In particular, I want to switch Forrest into using the
>>krysalis skin with it's usual colors, as it's a bit better underneath
>>because of the greater use of CSS and colorability.
>>
>>This would leave us with two skins: tigris-style and krysalis-site...
>>but it's at least wierd that forrest uses a krysalis skin. Overmore we
>>may want to change soon.
>
> What's wrong with forrest-site?  I think we should keep it around.  I
> agree krysalis looks better, but forrest-site works fine and is becoming
> pretty standard around apache.org... which leads to another [RT]: Is there
> any desire to have a common look and feel to all (or most) apache.org
> sites?

krysalis-site is a fork of forrest-site. I have taken all the issues I
had heard of in forrest-site (corner images in the html,
non-skin-colored corners, too big fonts, no javascript menus, etc etc)
and made krysalis-site.

So krysalis-site is in fact forrest-siteV2. That's why I want to switch
to that.

Note that I don't want to change colors. Just use the forrest color
profile in the skinconf (look in forrest seed) and you will see that the
look is very very similar to the original forrest skin.

> Avalon-tigris seems fine too.  Do you want to get rid of it just because
> it's not actively supported?  Or just make a note somewhere that it isn't
> actively maintained so it may have quirks?

Avalon-tigris is based on the style.tigris.org project but was never
refined and not maintained. So in fact tigris-style is avalon-tigrisV2,
and it has also support for color profiles.

>>So, what about simply supporting two skins for now, and giving them new
>>names? (suggestions welcome)
>
> I am horrible at naming... :-)

Oh, no, then we have a problem, I'm so too! B-)

>>As a third skin, and as the one we would use in the future, I would like
>>to see something like this, of the author kindly donates it :-)
>>
>>   http://whs.winnacunnet.k12.nh.us/
>>   http://www.exclupen.com/projects/whs/
>>   http://www.exclupen.com/misc/forrest/xhtml-css/index.html
>>

> I would like to see the third one replace forrest-css and the first ones
> be added as new skins.

But they are the same skin! Just the colors change.

In any case, that's the idea, that it should replace forrest-css (as a
"role", 'cause' we would change the name).

> However if the only difference between the two are the colors, we don't
> want to maintain two copies of basically same thing.

The colors are defined in the color profile in the skinconf.

>>The third like is about how it would look like with the current color
>>scheme, but I would like the other one, it's more light and fresh.
>>
>>Of course, Forrest should be backwards compatible, and still accept the
>>old skin names as parameters, so that the sites won't break, although
>>issuing a notice.
>>
>>So, the proposal is to have, for 0.6, only two skins (krysalis-site and
>>tigris-style) in Forrest with new fancy names, and maintain
>>compatibility with the old skin names. Then accept a new skin for
>>Forrest and release other versions with the new skin, strongly based on CSS.
>
> Is 'template' maintained?  If not, using other skins as a starting point
> would probably be better for skin designers and we should get rid of the
> 'template' skin.

+1 from me

             - verba volant, scripta manent -