forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] draft Forrest Project Guidelines: Roles and responsibilities
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2004 12:47:07 GMT
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, David Crossley wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> > I know I'm in error in not having checked it before,
>
> Everybody needs to help.
>
> > but now that I have
> > seen it I don't read in it the fact that simple committers
> > cannot vote (as instead I would prefer).
>
> Voting is the next task to add to the document.
> We had already said that we would identify the roles
> and responsibilities first. Though you are right, such
> things are intertwined.

I am satisfied with the roles and responsibilities, except where they are
related to moving from one role to another (i.e. voting).  Let's move on
to discussing those areas.

>From Committers, "After a successful vote,".  A successful vote by whom?

>From PMC, "While they are active, they are part of the PMC".  I think this
is a little unclear.  Committers can join and disjoin from the PMC
whenever they want?  Mailing list membership is the indicator of PMC
membership?  We should also mention what the PMC does when a
committer joins/disjoins it (from David's recent email: "acking you with
board@ and adding you to the committee list").  Does that just mean
approve his/her subscription to the mailing list?  Or is the "committee
list" something else?

> > Also, wouldn't it be better just to refer to the main
> > Apache document for this, and just clarify some points?
>
> That might be possible (though that main document needs
> some enhancements). However most other projects seem
> to also define the roles in their Guidelines. Another
> issue is that we are defining an extra role that no other
> project uses yet.

What extra role?  I see user, developer, committer, and PMC on our page
and on the ASF roles apge.

A standalone document is nice, but some more lengthy issue explanations
(like defining voting) can just be referenced.  And then we specify in our
document how voting is used for Forrest.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal