forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: [RT] Skin names and skin cleaning
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2004 14:00:09 GMT
On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Our current actively  supported skins are forrest-site, krysalis-site
> and tigris-style.
>
> I would like to change these names to make them indipendent of the sites
> that use them. In particular, I want to switch Forrest into using the
> krysalis skin with it's usual colors, as it's a bit better underneath
> because of the greater use of CSS and colorability.
>
> This would leave us with two skins: tigris-style and krysalis-site...
> but it's at least wierd that forrest uses a krysalis skin. Overmore we
> may want to change soon.

What's wrong with forrest-site?  I think we should keep it around.  I
agree krysalis looks better, but forrest-site works fine and is becoming
pretty standard around apache.org... which leads to another [RT]: Is there
any desire to have a common look and feel to all (or most) apache.org
sites?

Avalon-tigris seems fine too.  Do you want to get rid of it just because
it's not actively supported?  Or just make a note somewhere that it isn't
actively maintained so it may have quirks?

> So, what about simply supporting two skins for now, and giving them new
> names? (suggestions welcome)

I am horrible at naming... :-)

> As a third skin, and as the one we would use in the future, I would like
> to see something like this, of the author kindly donates it :-)
>
>    http://whs.winnacunnet.k12.nh.us/
>    http://www.exclupen.com/projects/whs/
>    http://www.exclupen.com/misc/forrest/xhtml-css/index.html

I would like to see the third one replace forrest-css and the first ones
be added as new skins.

However if the only difference between the two are the colors, we don't
want to maintain two copies of basically same thing.

> The third like is about how it would look like with the current color
> scheme, but I would like the other one, it's more light and fresh.
>
> Of course, Forrest should be backwards compatible, and still accept the
> old skin names as parameters, so that the sites won't break, although
> issuing a notice.
>
> So, the proposal is to have, for 0.6, only two skins (krysalis-site and
> tigris-style) in Forrest with new fancy names, and maintain
> compatibility with the old skin names. Then accept a new skin for
> Forrest and release other versions with the new skin, strongly based on CSS.

Is 'template' maintained?  If not, using other skins as a starting point
would probably be better for skin designers and we should get rid of the
'template' skin.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal