forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Lorenz Froihofer <Loren...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: Project sitemap mount and copyless
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2004 15:04:02 GMT

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Coloring should be done in skins. For this we are adding a class
> attribute on all elements, so you can color things in skinconf (with a
> new extra-css section).

I guess you mean that this class attribute is added during pipeline
processing and not to the xdoc DTD. If it were added to the xdoc DTD
this would allow to distinguish for example between different types of
paragraphs (<p>). This feature would be very useful but also provides a
way for missuse, e.g. if the class attribute is used to define classes
like class="bold" or class="red".

>>> What about this proposal:
>>>
>>> - we mount a sitemap that resolves uris in a defined space, for
>>>   example /forrest-user-sitemap
>>> - this pipeline has to give us the docs in xdoc format

The issue with this approach is that you limit every possible content to
the capabilities of the xdoc format ==> the xdoc format is the lowest
common denominator. What happens if you cannot transform the custom
content into the xdoc format?

> The xdoc format does not contain any style information per design, so I
> don't understand what you mean by 'more flexibility in formatting'.
>
> Could you please post an example?

I know that the xdoc format does not contain any style information and
this is well thought.

What came to my mind was that sometimes you might have a lot of existing
html documents, possibly with custom *.css definitions that you want to
integrate into a Forrest site. These html files may further make use of
the class attribute to allow the definition of styles based on the
content of the class attribute.

There are some cases, where you want to ensure that the layout of at
least some of the existing html files is preserved while you still want
the menu and the tabs of the Forrest site to be visible for these files.

Examples:
*) Inappropriate layout of a page destroys its readability
*) A page should keep it's layout regardless of the used skin
*) A page displays content that needs special formatting but the type of
  content is not used often enough to be worth the overhead of defining
a DTD and custom stylesheets.

As currently all attributes are stripped from HTML input, one can use
the approach to define a new pipeline (in sitemap.xmap). The
transformations in this pipeline ensure that the class attribute (and
possibly other attributes) of the html elements are preserved.

I know that this does not adhere to the approach of separation of
concerns but allows easier and faster migration to Forrest.

My suggestion would be to have two different file endings for html
files, e.g. .xhtml and .pxhtml. For one type of html input (e.g. the
.xhtml files or the already existing .ihtml files) the attributes are
stripped from the html elements and the input is integrated into the
generated output the way as it is already done. For the other type of
input (e.g. .pxhtml => preserved xhtml), the attributes of the html
elements are preserved during pipeline processing to allow a mix between
content and style in these files.

One problem with this approach is that possible style information in the
.pxhtml files from above is limited to html output. What happens, if the
.pxhtml file should be rendered to pdf? May be limit such files with
mixed content + style to html output?

Kind regards,
   Lorenz Froihofer.